- Operations Research, Consultancy, Data Science, IT
- Required language
- Dutch, English
INTERNSHIPS FOR MASTER STUDENTS
Do you enjoy working on complex logistic problems? Do you like simulation modelling or another type of programming? Do you want things to be efficient and run smoothly? At Portwise we are looking for talented logistic students to research complex problems as part of their master graduation project. We are based in Rijswijk, The Netherlands.
Since the start of the company, Portwise has always stood at the forefront of simulation as a discipline. Within the container terminal industry, we pioneered the integration of simulation into the entire terminal lifecycle from design to operations.
To stay at the forefront of developments in the container handling business and to consolidate our leading position in the field of design and optimisation of (container) terminals, Portwise is constantly working on various R&D initiatives. These initiatives are often supported by students from various universities. We mostly work with students with a background in Operations Research, Engineering or Computer Science, but we are also looking for students that have affinity with simulation and modelling of logistic processes.
What are we looking for?
As an internship student at Portwise, you will be working on an assignment that typically involves improving the operational efficiency of container or bulk terminals in ports. This can be tuning and optimising of existing solutions, or designing new solutions, such as a new type of machine to move cargo, a new storage system, or a new type of transport network. At Portwise, we distinguish ourselves from other consulting firms, by applying extensive automation and operational knowledge with the world’s most accurate simulation tools in this field. During your internship you will use the simulation models to test different solutions, such as behaviour, specs or strategies.
We are searching for other people who like us believe that global logistics can be smarter, more efficient and more sustainable!
Our ideal candidate for this position
- Graduating on an academic master degree in a relevant education i.e. with strong analytical skills, modelling, programming, data science, and logistics.
- We only host internships from Dutch universities
- Some experience with programming, either in mathematical or simulation software tools, is required.
- Experience with Siemens Plant simulation package would help you to get up to speed quicker.
- Structured and meticulous working approach.
The research problems that we offer are complex, challenging and rewarding. You will analyse the advanced logistics around container or bulk terminals, or at warehouses. You will search for bottlenecks or inefficient operations, and design and test improvements. You will investigate possible solutions by using our world-renowned simulation models.
Portwise maintains a selection of research ideas of which we together with internship candidates choose relevant and attractive topics for the internships, given the education and interest of the candidate. It is also possible to apply to us with your own idea of a research assignment.
Some examples of study topics are:
- Define alternative routing strategies for automated equipment to improve the productivity
- Define better priority rules for vehicles or machines driving in the same area
- Reduce the energy usage on container terminals for a more sustainable operation
- Optimize the capacity of a bulk conveyor network by smarter routing
- Reduce waiting times of equipment by smarter and/or dynamic job assignment
You are expected to perform most of your research in our office in Rijswijk, to enable close contact with your Portwise supervisor and other colleagues that can assist. An internship typically takes 6 to 9 months.
Are you interested in this position?
If this description sparks your interest and you would enjoy working in an innovative, young and dedicated team, please use the form on our website: