- Actuary, Consultancy
- Required language
- Dutch, English
What impact will you make?
Insurers provide stability to policyholders by taking on their risks. Insurers face maturing markets, economic turbulence and technological innovations. The key to success lies in their ability to integrate technology, talent and business-model innovation into legacy environments.
Deloitte Actuarial & Insurance Solutions (AIS) has an impact on the insurance industry by helping our clients doing responsible business to sustain and grow. We support our clients with managing their insurance risk through data analytics, model development and validation, or creating management and regulatory dashboards. Besides working on assignments, AIS consultants also support in preparing proposals and you will contribute to research and writing articles.
We foster a collaborative culture where talented individuals can produce their best work. We value innovative thinking, diverse insights and a genuinely distinctive level of customer service through our expertise and professionalism.
This is how
- Deliver innovative solutions to the problems faced by insurers;
- Connect and advise clients on the insurance risk cycle, as well as the policy and claims process;
- Apply your skills in quantitative modelling or data analytics;
- Effectively translating technical results into impact for senior stakeholders;
- Building a strong network in the insurance industry and peers in quantitative modelling.
At Deloitte, the largest organization in the field of Audit and Assurance, Consulting, Financial Advisory, Risk Advisory, Tax and Legal. In the Netherlands, we rely on more than 5,500 staff in 15 offices. Globally, Deloitte has around 250,000 staff and offices in more than 150 countries.
The AIS team is a team in Financial Risk Management. Financial Risk Management focusses on model development and validation for key financial service clients in the Netherlands, using quantitative methods and techniques to solve various challenges. This includes modelling techniques from quantitative finance, statistics, applied mathematics and data science. Of course, Financial Risk Management also has a major impact.
Junior Manager Erik Wolters describes how he boosts his career at Deloitte:
"At AIS I combine my interest in the technical aspects of the insurance sector with engaging assignments and personal growth. In five years in the FRM team I’ve been active on a wide range of projects. For example, I have developed tooling which automatically forecasts the Technical Provisions for a Property & Casualty Insurer. The best thing about this assignment was that I learned about how claims affect provisions and improving my programming skills. In another project I have designed the methodology that is used to aggregate the individual risks which insurers need to quantify. During this project I was introduced to people from disciplines of insurance and different levels. I really liked how I could combine the complex mathematical theory of copulas and the client’s practical knowledge!
Deloitte AIS also invests in innovative initiations. I joined the project where we apply data science techniques to find improvements on the traditional methods and processes that are currently used by insurers in practice. An example of this is our research into using machine learning for modelling best estimate reserves of an insurer. The variety and pace of these types of projects ensures that there is very rarely a dull moment!
As important as it is to deliver excellent client work, I think personal development is an integral part in my journey at Deloitte. Deloitte offers development programs and workshops so that I am able to develop the individual skills that I need. Last year I have attended courses on modelling standards (in Python, for example), learning how to manage a project, providing feedback in the most useful way possible and learning to present in ways that engage an audience. A key learning I try to apply daily is to communicate with different styles that works best for others. I have become more efficient by recognizing the type of people and adjusting my own communicating style. I notice I save a lot of time due to effective communication.
Finally, I definitely like that we have many social events with both the Financial Risk Management department and the other colleagues at Deloitte which are always fun to attend. Examples are the annual Risk Advisory ski trip in March, the regular drinks each Friday to wrap up the week and a Risk Advisory wide Christmas event."
- in addition to a fixed salary, a share in our profits;
- a permanent contract;
- great growth opportunities. Depending on your ambitions and performance, growth into a new role every 2 to 3 years;
- a development program that helps you keep developing;
- 26 days of paid holiday annually, and the opportunity to purchase 15 additional holiday days annually;
- a 40-hour working week;
- the opportunity to take a month of paid leave once annually;
- good mobility scheme: choose a company car with a fuel card for the whole of Europe, a cash option, a public transport card or reimbursement of travel expenses;
- a laptop and an iPhone, which is also for personal use;
- a good pension scheme;
- an opportunity to take part in our collective health insurance scheme;
- an opportunity to benefit from tax-efficient facilities, such as company fitness and a bicycle scheme.
What you offer
When it comes to the technicalities of the job, you're ready for anything. At the same time, you're able to inspire and motivate the team to deliver excellent results. You have the courage to try out new things and to keep learning, even if there are setbacks along the way. For the role of consultant at Deloitte Actuarial & Insurance Solutions, you also are/have:
- Obtained a degree in: Actuarial Science, Econometrics, Mathematics, Economics, (Quantitative) Finance or a science Master;
- A keen interest in insurance and the financial sector;
- Affinity with quantitative modelling, data analytics and/or programming;
- A team player with good communicative skills;
- Ambitious, independent, energetic and able to perform under pressure;
- Result-oriented, while ensuring the quality of work; and
- Proficient in English (and preferably Dutch), both verbally and in writing.
Let’s make an impact. Apply now!
We look forward to receiving your application for this position. At Deloitte, we welcome everyone who can bring quality and ambition. We'd like to know who you are.
Questions? For answers, please contact Chris Wentink, Campus Recruiter, +31650055462.